Sunday, May 29, 2016

Review: The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic



4 Stars. Spoiler free review.

Okay listen, you know that feeling when you pick up a new book that you're not quite sure about? The summary sounds average, the reviews are all over the place and you have no idea how to feel, but then you start reading it and you're not really into it and you're wondering why you picked it up in the first place only to find that before you know it you're attached to all the characters and you want to protect them with your life? That's what The Foxhole Court is to me.

When I first picked up The Foxhole Court, I'll admit it was solely due to Tumblr. A couple of people I follow were posting about it, and I figured why not? It'll probably be an okay book, and if not, at least I'll get a chance to see what the hype's about. Now I'm not a sports fan at all; don't care about football or hockey or whatever other sport people seem to constantly be raising their blood pressure about when they sit down to watch a game, so I was wary about actually reading The Foxhole Court, but the more that I read, and once I got somewhat of an understanding of the confusing rules of Exy, I realised that there's so much more to it than that. If you're like me and you aren't a sports fan in the slightest, I'll be the first to admit that this book is kinda hard to get into, but give it a shot, stick around for just a little bit longer, because the way that the Palmetto State Foxes interact and look out for one another is more than worth the read, and you'll fall in love with each and every one of them for it.

The reason that the Foxes work so well together is that they're all dysfunctional, which somehow makes them more violent towards and also protective of each other than they need to be. The Foxes fight, they do stupid things, they mess with each other to the point of wondering where is the line between that's okay and that's not, but at the end of the day they look out for their own. I will admit that the first book doesn't show this as much as the others do, but you still do see pretty clear signs of it in TFC, which is part of the reason that I had to keep reading the series, because when you take ten dysfunctional players, a protective as heck coach, a caring nurse and a helpful psychiatrist, it normally wouldn't add up to a family, but it really does, and that's what won me over.

There is so much more that I could say about this book series and how much I love it, but hopefully I'll tackle that in future reviews for the rest of the series. The things I mostly want to point out is keep an eye on how Neil 'I'm Fine' Josten changes throughout the books, and how much becoming 'friends' with Andrew, Kevin and the others makes the PSU Foxes a much better team. Also, be warned, this is a very triggering book series, so if violence, abuse, drugs, and other things such as those aren't up your alley, I wouldn't recommend reading it, just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment